Sunday, May 10, 2009

my mom is an intimidating, loud, red headed woman from new jersey who has always forced foreign films and museum trips into my life demanding that i get cultured. she fought hard into the italian family of my father which only increased her powers and taught her to make the best meatballs and zeppolis i've ever had. meat temptation. ask her any question about the history of any woman and she probably has the answer. ask her anything about star trek and i know she has the answer. i grew up knowing barbara streisand and bette midler and being taken to broadway plays. waking up in the morning to the sounds of her and her sisters hollering not because theyre mad but because thats just the way they communicate and having to fight my way into conversation i think is the reason why i have absolutely no volume control for such a small human. my mom always told me never to marry an italian man because though they were great lovers they were all whores. she also slammed my hand in the car door an hour before i was boarding a plane to venice. she knew what she was doing.
i love mothers. i really do. because even though i can complain and tell everyone how scary she is she is seriously the smartest and strongest woman i know and i like having some of that blood inside of me.
so today heres to my mom and jersey.

No comments: